Lesser Toe MTP Joint Approach indications:
- Lesser Toe MTP Joint Approach which exposes the metatarsophalangeal joints of the second, third, fourth, and fifth toes, avoids incision of the plantar skin of the foot.
- Lesser Toe MTP Joint Approach uses include the following:
- Excision of metatarsal heads.
- Distal metatarsal osteotomy.
- Partial proximal phalangectomy.
- Fusion of metatarsophalangeal joints (rare).
- Capsulotomy of metatarsophalangeal joints.
- Muscle tenotomy.
Position of the Patient
- place the patient Supine on operating table with a bolster under the thigh to flex the knee and keep the foot plantigrade on the table.
Landmarks and Incision
- The Metatarsal head of the finger.
- The tendons of the extensor digitorum longus.
- Make 2-3cm dorsolateral incision parallel to corresponding extensor tendons.
- If 2 adjacent joints need to be exposed, make the incision between them.
- There is no internervous plane for Lesser Toe MTP Joint Approach.
- Incise the deep facia in line with the incision.
- Retract the extensor tendon to reveal the MTP joint.
- Perform transverse or longitudinal arthrotomy.
- Retract the joint capsule to expose the MTP joint.
- The approach rarely is enlarged and is used primarily for specific web space pathology.
- The structures at risk during Lesser Toe MTP Joint Approach include:
- Digital nerve and vessel.
- Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics book – 4th Edition
- Campbel’s Operative Orthopaedics book 12th
Medial Approach to Calcaneus
The Medial Approach to Calcaneus is mainly used for open reduction and internal fixation of calcaneus fractures.
U Approach to Calcaneus
U Approach to Calcaneus is used for open reduction and internal fixation of Calcaneus fracture.
Latest from Orthofixar
De Quervain Tenosynovitis
De Quervain Tenosynovitis is a stenosing tenosynovitis of the abductor pollicis longus and extensor pollicis brevis tendons at…
Hammer Toe Deformity
The hammer toe deformity is one of the most common deformity of lesser toes of the foot. It’s…
Fracture healing is a series of events that is triggered from the moment of trauma that caused the…
A full understanding of pelvic anatomy is required to treat pelvic fractures, to prevent iatrogenic injuries, and to…