U Approach to Calcaneus indications:
- U Approach to Calcaneus is used for open reduction and internal fixation of Calcaneus fracture.
Position of the Patient
- Place the patient prone on the operating table.
- Support leg on sandbag.
Landmarks and Incision
- Make lateral incision as described in lateral approach to calcaneus.
- Make medial incision as described in medial approach to calcaneus.
- Connect medial and lateral incisions with a transverse posterior incision inferior to the insertion of Achilles tendon.
- This forms a U-shaped incision around the posterior four-fifths of bone.
- There is No internervous plane for the U Approach to Calcaneus.
- Divide superficial and deep fascia.
- Incise periosteum transversely in line with the incision.
- Dissect subperiosteally to create U-shaped flap consisting of skin, fatty heel pad, plantar aponeurosis and muscles.
- Elevate plantar aponeurosis and muscles off the calcaneus to expose the bone.
- The structures at risk during U Approach to Calcaneus include:
- Sural nerve (lateral):
- lies 18.8mm from the lateral border of the Achilles tendon at its insertion.
- crosses over the lateral edge of the Achilles tendon 9.8cm above the insertion.
- Medial calcaneal nerve (medial).
- Nerve to abductor digiti minimi (medial).
- Campbel’s Operative Orthopaedics book 12th
Lesser Toe MTP Joint Approach
The Lesser Toe MTP Joint Approach which exposes the metatarsophalangeal joints of the second, third, fourth, and fifth…
Medial Approach to Calcaneus
The Medial Approach to Calcaneus is mainly used for open reduction and internal fixation of calcaneus fractures.
Latest from Orthofixar
De Quervain Tenosynovitis
De Quervain Tenosynovitis is a stenosing tenosynovitis of the abductor pollicis longus and extensor pollicis brevis tendons at…
Hammer Toe Deformity
The hammer toe deformity is one of the most common deformity of lesser toes of the foot. It’s…
Fracture healing is a series of events that is triggered from the moment of trauma that caused the…
A full understanding of pelvic anatomy is required to treat pelvic fractures, to prevent iatrogenic injuries, and to…