Apley grinding Test
What is Apley grinding Test?
Apley grinding Test is used for medial or lateral Meniscal Injury in the knee.
How it's Performed?
- Patient is prone.
- Patient then flexes affected knee to 90°
- Examiner’s one hand grasps patient’s heel and ankle while the other hand stabilizes the leg.
- Examiner compresses the flexed knee joint and the menisci –by pushing the patient’s foot and tibia down into the table, followed by internal and external rotation of the tibia.
What does a positive Apley grinding Test mean?
- POSITIVE SIGN:
- Pain on the medial aspect = medial meniscus damage/injury.
- Pain on the lateral aspect = lateral meniscus injury/damage.
Sensitivity & Specificity
- Sensitivity: 83 %
- Specificity: 71 %
- Millers Review of Orthopaedics -7E Book