What is Elson Test?
The Elson test is a hand special test used to evaluate the integrity of the Central Slip (Extensor Hood Rupture) of the hand.
See Also: Extensor Tendon Injury of the Hand
How it’s Performed?
- The patient flexes the finger to 90 degrees at the proximal interphalangeal joint (PIP) joint over the edge of the table.
- The patient is then asked to extend the PIP joint while the clinician palpates the middle phalanx.
What does a positive Elson Test mean?
- The absence of extension force at the PIP joint, and fixed extension at the distal joint, indicates complete rupture of the central slip (Positive Elson Test).
- If the PIP joint is tight in extension and distal interphalangeal joint (DIP) is supple, then the Elson test is negative.
No diagnostic accuracy studies have been performed to determine the sensitivity and the specificity of this clinical test.
- Elson RA: Rupture of the central slip of the extensor hood of the finger: a test for early diagnosis. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1986;68:229–231. PMID: 3958008
- Louis Christopher Grandizio and Joel Christian Klena:Sagittal band, boutonniere, and pulley injuries in the athlete. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2017 Mar; 10(1): 17–22. PMID: 28101826
- Dutton’s Orthopaedic Examination, Evaluation, And Intervention 3rd Edition.
Share with Friends:
Hand Function Tests
Hand Function Tests demonstrate motor and sensory deficits in the presence of nerve lesions.
Thumb CMC Grind Test
Thumb Grind Test is used to assess the osteoarthritis in the carpometacarpal joint of the thumb.
Radial Nerve Palsy Test
Radial nerve palsy test is done by these maneuvers: Wrist drop test, Thumb Extension Test and Supination Test.
Latest from Orthofixar
Kohler's Disease (or Osteochondrosis of the tarsal navicular) is an avascular necrosis of the navicular bone of the…
Forearm Muscles Anatomy
The forearm muscles, wrist, and hand can be subdivided into 19 intrinsic muscles and 24 extrinsic muscles.
Radial Nerve Entrapment
A number of radial nerve entrapments are recognized and are named according to the location at which they…
Skeletal Traction is a temporary treatment method used in emergency department in some type of lower extremity fractures.